Monday 8 September 2008

Little steps forwards

After the last session of capturing went all weird in the bathroom, a few people advised trying him in an environment he's more used to and for me to try to be more normal rather than still and silent. So we went back to the kitchen. You know that tiled waterproof place where Grey has never ever ever had a wee or a poo?

Well, the same thing happened again when I tried waiting for him to offer a sit or a down so I could click and treat him. He went into slow and staring mode, like he thought this was a challenge to do the world's longest watch while standing. So after a while and the poor pup was drooling waiting for a treat, I switched to teaching 'target' getting him to gently bop my hand with the end of his nose. This cheered him up and we were back to happy eager training pup again. So I will carry on with that one and see if I can sharpen up his down without retraining it as a capture. His 'touch' was up to about 2 metres away, so good boy!

Couple of pictures from a nice walk in Bekesbourne. Grey still won't go in the little stream. Shame because it looks perfect for dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment