Wednesday 20 May 2009

training diary

Grey has got into aunty J's school. Grin.

Today we went out on the lead to the park with L and the baby in the pram. While they went on the swings in the little kids' play area, Grey and I walked on the lead round the park with a bag of treats. We had a brief spell off lead with his toy in the enclosed basketball court until a park rubbish collector told me I could get fined for that. Although there are no signs up?

While in there I was throwing his toy for him and enticing him back for cuddles and a bit of tug and not insisting he let it go. Basically getting him to come back to me for good things and if he lets go we throw again and keep the game going in quite high energy.

Today we worked on teaching him 'twist' at home which is an anti-clockwise spin.

Last night we had gone down the beach and I was playing find it by clearly throwing a treat and then calling him into me for a puppy recall to get a treat from my hands. He stayed much much closer to me and he was very engaged. Came back on the whistle a few times and it was much easier to finish the session on a positive not and loose lead walk home.

He's doing really well on the lead now. I can manage the odd lunge at lorries but more often than not he's rewarded for being calm around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment