Wednesday 11 November 2009

Grey's fears

Sometimes we have a bumpy few days to get through and my confidence can take a knock. Especially since being a first time dog owner, I don't know if I'm getting into something a bit bigger than I am. But then a word from wiser friends and usually the problem doesn't seem so unsurmountable after all.

Yesterday Grey had picked up a live seagull that was in the shallows of the sea and had carried it off down the beach away from me. I was running along shouting at him to drop it to no avail and was mortified at the sight of my dog carrying a dangling bird along the main sands. He didn't shake it or play with it, just carried it. He eventually dropped it and it went to peck him and he was startled and jumped back. I managed to get hold of him, and by this time I was in a state from running and shouting after him what seemed like the whole length of the bloody beach. The bird recovered itself and wandered off. At this point I was wondering what was the best thing to do. The bird had gone off out of reach and Grey was now on his headcollar. My wellies had a hole in them and I realised I was soaked up to my knees from running after him in the water. I was probably stressed by the fact that I realised I couldn't get the bird off of him until he dropped it and how would I manage to train him not to pick up a live bird that didn't fly?

Today I have to hit myself on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for taking Grey out for a wee on his lead without my clicker and treats. We went out into the green and a man appeared in a big black coat. Grey spotted him and fixed on him as he came closer. I tried to casually go the other way, but the man caught up with us and Grey reared on the lead and barked at him. I came home a bit bruised thinking the worst. That I have now got he makings of a people aggressive dog. But again, words from the wise remind me that I could have probably worked through this with my treats and clicker etc. And they're right. I know that if I had clicked and treated him like mad at that moment that he would have been fine. So this is now a training opportunity. We went back out an hour later and actively trained around the postie and his bike. (He thinks Grey is mental anyway. In a nice way, of course!) the sweeper and his bin, the drinker on the square with his cider. We even managed to calm down after the two canons went off for two minutes silence. We did some long line recalls which were amazing. My car is out of action at the moment and it's hard for me to get to an area where I can safely let Grey off for a big run. For the moment, I think Grey is going to get most of his food from hand in the form of training. This way we can do lots and lots of little trips out and work on positive rewards for managing himself outside.

We do have lots to work through. But we can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment