Tuesday 31 August 2010

Grey is swimming and walking on lead!

Big day for us today! Grey realised halfway through his second swim in the hydrotherapy pool that he can swim! All of a sudden he was able to take an interest in a floating toy and actually swim the length of the pool to fetch it! Horray! Might sound like not much for anyone who's dog loves swimming, but Grey has always been scardy of it. They've been really great at the hydrotherapy centre.

While we were waiting for our turn I took Grey out for a walk around the grounds with the lead round my waist hands free. I only did this because we were away from traffic, other dogs and so he couldn't budge me if he pulled. It seemed like a bit of a breakthrough to him. Then when I tried it this evening on our walk around the square he was so much more responsive. Stopping to look back at me if I slowed as he was about to pull. We must have spent 30 minutes just hanging out on the square clicker training all sorts of stuff. Sitting and lying down while I said hello to people, not pulling towards objects he wanted to check out, sit on the whistle, bits of close heelwork.

He's now cuddled up on his duvet with his favourite tug toy. The leadwork I think is coming on a treat as I've stepped down levels of distraction in terms of areas: I took him the other day to Morrisons car park, then today out at kennels. So he gets practise in before I move him up.

Oh and there was another slovak in kennels today. Looked very much liek Grey, but more like another slovak I've met. Looked like a lovely boy. They're all so incredibly the same looking these UK slovaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment