Sunday 17 July 2011

Our favourite beach

Grey

We've been enjoying our walks lately.  Our most regular walking spot is at Botany Bay which lies between Margate and Broadstairs. A typical walk will consist of Grey barking in excitement as soon as I stop the car to park. I wait until he stops to let him out. We spend about 15 minutes zig zag walking on the top field changing directions and walking in what must look like a crazy woman with a mad dog. We often see dog friends and their owners up on this stretch. We've been working on an alternative behaviour for bike and jogger chasing which has really pulled off. Grey is cued, 'ready!' which is what I use when I'm going to throw his favourite toy or stones in the sea. So if I see a bike I cue 'ready!' and then 'wait' and then 'find it' for bit of clearly thrown down sausage. So bikes now mean this game, well 95% of the time if I see them in time.

I also use a 'let's go to the beach' cue and run to the direction of the beach path, which also works as Grey loves the run down to the beach. It's one of his most favourite things in the world. This path is really special to us. Every day I climb down, holding on to the chalk with my hands. It's lovely and smooth and organic. I think it's my destress trigger. After that quick climb down I hit soft golden sand, dunes, grasses and then the sea. It's my daily bit of therapy.

Without Grey I wouldn't do that every day. And I like it whatever the weather.  It's a special place for me and him.

Today we went out to near Reculver. Grey found a baby fox cub. Grey left it alone when I told him to. That was quite a surprise.



No comments:

Post a Comment