Tuesday 26 March 2013

Grey had a 2nd tremorgenic mycotoxosis incident


I couldn't believe it yesterday after we were heading homewards after a lovely walk with another dog walker. I'd just said goodbye and was heading down the track to the car when Grey started shaking in his back legs again in the same way as the first incident in early January. He was less affected and I was less taken by surprise. I got him straight into the car, took a faster route to the vets so we got there 30 mins earlier than the January incident. He was put straight on phenobarbital rather than diazepam. The latter in January had caused him to be more agitated. He was at the vets on a drip from 2pm until 6.30pm when it was decided he had stabilised enough to come home for the night. He was restless and having mild tremors until 11pm. He settled as long as he was in contact with one of us. He seems to calm more if in physical contact. During the restlessness, grey kept doing nose nudges on me, as if trying to tell me he wasn't right. He's been taught nose targets in training for life rewards, so it makes sense to me that Grey would try a nose target to get to do or change something.

Yesterday was the first time since January that I walked in the same field that we'd been in on the day of the January incident. He'd obviously had a drink from the surface water on the field. Yesterday there was some green residue at the entrance to the field that was left in his beard.


But I have to underline that this sounds really rare and it's likely that Grey is particularly sensitive to something. No other dogs have been affected. I've called round the local vets and they haven't heard of anything. So perhaps it is like an allergy.

We shall have to avoid that area now.

Today he was unsteady still on his hind legs and walking with a cowboy gait. He is now resting and seems back to himself, although a little knocked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment