Saturday 2 January 2010

Ready, Ready, Gooooooooooooo!

New game at the top of the cliff slope at Botany. Only if the beach is empty though! Get him to wait at the top and then tell him 'Go!' Off down the sandy slope he zooms right down the beach and into the sea. Then whistle him straight back up for scatted treats when he gets back. Grey thinks this is the best game ever as he loves running fast down this slope and into the shallows. You can see him love the run back up as well. So it's pairing the whistle with the adrenalin rush of running fast down to his favourite place and back up again for the treats. We didn't do it today because there was a man doing running training up and down the slope. I'm sure he was glad that I didn't send the 30KG dog down. So I used the opportunity to let Grey go up to the edge, look over and then stay with me to do something else. So lots of 'this way' sitting and waiting before moving on.

Working with Grey's distances when he's offlead is like him being on a boingy piece of elastic. It's hard to keep him exactly by my side, but I can sort of control the direction. I intersperse bits of close 'with me' moments by getting him to sit on the whistle and do stays and then a couple of paces of 'with me'. All building up I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment