Wednesday 18 January 2012

A general walk


Here is a video I shot the other day while out walking at Minnis. I apologise for the rough camera and shaking, but I wanted to keep filming while I walked so I could capture how far Grey generally ranges from me without me stopping to film. When I stop walking Grey usually comes back to me when he's realised.

In this he goes ahead about 20 metres before he turns and sees that I've stopped. He then comes back on his own, no recall. By a coincidence, the point I stop in the film, there is also a passing cyclist on the upper sea wall. A few years ago, Grey would have chased this. He's still not 100% but he's so much better.

After we reach the point we're going to leave the lower sea wall and go up the slope, I use the much easier 'this way' to get him back down the slope than a recall. This gets him out of potential trouble as the sea wall can be quite busy with bikes and joggers and it gives me the opportunity to catch up and make some headway up the slope. From there, on the hard sea wall surface, Grey has less to sniff at and is far more attentive in keeping an eye on how near I am to him. He spies a couple of dogs and their owners on the beach and ignores them. Again, previously he'd have been off down the beach to the dogs.

As a Slovak that is in a pet home and we don't do any working training or gun dog work, this is the kind of terrain and habits that I've grown to do with Grey. Basically, having fun, keeping it neutral and hanging out. What I've learnt to do is watch his energy levels and arousal I think. I try to go places where I can manage him off lead and work up from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment