Friday 30 November 2012

Grey had a lump removed today



Grey went in for surgery yesterday to have a lump removed at the back of his right shoulder. It was quite a difficult lump to find. I'm not sure how long he's had it for. While he was under, he had his teeth cleaned and his nails cut. His teeth had got a bit or tartar build up. He doesn't have bones now, so I think I'd better get a toothbrush.

He was fine going in to the vets. Simon checked him in.

Had a chat re Polka's permanently inflamed eye. The next step if we want to do anything is to flush the tear duct under sedation. But there's no rush.




I took Polka out for a walk nearby on her own. I think, to my shame,  this is the first offlead walk I've done with just Polka. We walked in an apple orchard opposite Howlett's wildlife park. Polka was really good. But also really good at ignoring me when she was eating apples. But when she could hear she came bounding up full of smiles when I called her. She's super lovely.


The vet called a few hours later with the news that they weren't happy with the lump they removed. Rob said it was surprising. It looked grey, rough and slimy and had a good blood supply. I've had loads of people tell me that even if it was a growth and even if its a malignant growth, it might all still be ok. But one can't help but worry. Grey is only 4 years old and I've not heard of a Slovak cancer case I think.

He cried all the way home in the car. Was generally unsettled. He was happy for Polka's cuddles. She tried her best to mind her own business for a good 3 minutes.



He wouldn't settle with us in our bedroom to sleep which is his usual place. He asked to go downstairs on his own. This morning I woke up to him howling at the kitchen door. He been out for a wee and poop ok, eatcn breakfast and had a dose of Metacam. He's now asleep on our bed with us.

He'll be on lead walks for a week or so. I'd forgotten about that aspect. For some reason it didn't dawn on me. So I'll have to decide where to walk Polka while I leave Grey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment