Wednesday 8 October 2008

The teenager is arriving

I've noticed the last few days that Grey has started to change when out and about in the outside. From what I've heard, it could be the start of adolescence. His recall has suddenly developed into over shooting and running just out of reach. So we've gone back to working it so he comes back in reach so I can touch his collar. I'm not going to ask for a sit when he gets to me. Need to lower the bar, so that he does come back when I call him. He does react very well on the whistle for recall, it's the arriving at me that's now iffy. So when we're playing fetch with his tuggy toy, I'm blowing the recall whistle as soon as he's reached it. He doesn't have time to think and heads quickly back. If I then back up and change direction if I think he's not going to come back to me fully, we can more or less negotiate that he does get back to me. He's keener to keep up with me than to chase away on his own.

The other hard work is still loose leash walking. It's a constant battle of reinforcement when out on the street. I've switched him back to trying out the halti rather than the Gentle Leader. he seemed quite unhappy in the Gentle Leader. The halti he seems to mind less. Yesterday we tried heelwork round the house and garden and he managed it fine. Nice and close and good attention. So he can do it. It's out on the street that the outside is more exciting than me. But today, we managed to loose leash walk down the street to the park and back with the aid of sausage and liver cake. Hardly any of his eat the treat and boing forwards activities of the last week. So we hopefully have something to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment