Wednesday 7 April 2010

Canix aka running with your dog!


We've started running! Yes, us, running! I had the thought the other day when I was out in my wellies as usual, that it's hard to run and keep pace with a slovak while wearing wellies and jeans. So while I was on my one and only day off in weeks at Bluewater yesterday, I bought a pair of trainers to add to the wardrobe of wellies and flipflops. Since having Grey I've found it hard to take him out for 2 hours, run the business and do some aerobic exercise myself.

I've noticed for a good while that he loves running with me if I run. So I had a flick through the Canix UK site and also saw that they say it can also improve leadwalking when not training as the dogs really know the difference. There I was sold. Another big reason I'm thinking of it is that the picnickers and daytrippers are back on my favourite beach stomping grounds, so having hold of Grey on some kind of line and occuppied probably is a good thing.

We've been out twice today. It went really well. This morning was mosty free running with me with no lead attached and he stayed with me loads and ran the whole time. Only jumped up at me once in excitement that his mum was, well, running! We passed the jogging guy who Grey usually has a half hearted little chase after and the guy is very good about it. I think he probably couldn't get over the irony of me then also being out with the mad hound and also jogging!

This evening I went out to Minnis where we often see packs of huskies training on carts. Have to watch his pads on the seawall walkway. But there is a rough grassy path (also very muddy) that was can run on too. But that's if we start getting really serious! I rigged up the Ezydog harness, his long training lead and the Ezydog bungee lead. I do need to sort out something nice to carry keys, phone etc. The treat bumbag was horribly annoying and bouncy. I think one of the specific hands free waist belts will sort this out. Thinking of ordering the Euro harness kit from here:

Interesting thing was that when I stopped running and had a breather, he was much much calmer and 'with me' if you know what I mean. So we shall see how long I can keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment