Tuesday 20 April 2010

Day 5 of the mystery illness - ups and downs and ups

Today has been such an up and down day. Last night he had basically refused to wee or poo all evening. We had to carry him up and down the stairs and out into the back yard, where he just stood looking sad with his back curled up so he looked like an oversized beddlington terrier. I woke up at 4a.m to him crying so I gave him some more painkiller tablets. I managed to get him to lick some water from my hand while he was in bed. This morning at 7.30 he was no better. He was very distressed if one of us leaves the room. Again wouldn't wee or poo when he was carried outside. He ate his tripe brekkie no problem and had a new antibiotic. Then he turned around for a while. We'd left the front door open and he took himself off up the front steps to look out the gate at the front. So I asked him if he wanted to go out for a wee and he did. Popped on his fleecy harness on, checked there were no dogs around and lead him over onto the green. He greeted two lady neighbours wagging and pleased to see them, then onto the green cheerily had a wee, a poo and decided to lie down on something he thought smelled nice. He seemed very engaged and actively came back to the house when I asked him if we should go find his dad. He then snoozed for an hour or so. I gave him his next pain meds at 10. A bit later he was back to crying and whining and being a bit lost. So I popped a Ttouch body wrap on him and did some Ttouch on him. He wanted to lean into me and generally be sure where we are. So after he tried to sit on the bench with me at the dining table, I moved to the dog duvet with him with all my paperwork! He seemed calmer and slept a while stretching out.

I popped out at lunchtime and on my return found a much more alert and relaxed Grey. He was in bed with a nicked butter pat pot off the side. Woohoo! He's interested in thieving again! He then went outside to the garden and dug up his raw hide chew that he continuously has a bit of a chew on and then buries in the garden. To finish it off he went up the front steps and barked at something across the green. Don't want to tempt fate but a big improvement on yesterday.

He's had chicken for dinner tonight and more painkillers and his second antibiotic. He's now fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment