Saturday 30 August 2008

At last a breakthrough!


Grey has made huge progress this week on lead walking this week. Ok, well, perhaps it's also me being more consistent. It's so easy to let him pull on the odd trip out and then expect him to go back to training on another. So, I've changed approach. I've started trying not to go out with him and allowing him to pull. We have a park at the end of the road, and we've managed to loose leash walk along the route. I've been reinforcing him every few paces at first with my trusty long armed treat i.e. a tube of Primula Cheese spread! (Surprisingly little rubbish in it and only have to give him a lick of it). Saves the ends of my fingers, can be delivered easily when still in motion and means I don't have to bend down so far. Started off click treating every couple of paces, then five, then six, eight, ten, twelve. He's definitely pulling less and when I say his name he slows. If the lead does go tight, i.e. if the clasp isn't hanging down vertically, I stop and wait for it to hang down. Then I click and move forwards again.

The method is a cobbled together mixture of the method introduced in class which is the CT every few paces with puppy in the right position. But this is some degree of luring. I might go back to basics and move on to Sue Ailsby's method, which would mean no walks on the lead until he's got it. So I would be better to drive to the park or beach and let him exercise with no sloppy leash walking getting learned in. I always remember one of Sue's statements about this. Something like "you want to walk the dog more than you want him not to pull" if you walk on lead with a pulling dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment